12.30.2012

Crocheted Book Covers

I have a vast collection of manga, and I like to keep one or two in my purse to read when I'm waiting for the bus or in between classes.

There's just one problem with this: some of the covers on these manga might be a little bit embarrassing to take outside. Like Sekaiichi Hatsukoi or Junjo Romantica, with the cover screaming YAOI LOVE!!! Or sometimes you just don't want the obasan next door looking at you disapprovingly when you have a manga in your hands. (I never understood why so many adults I know think comic books/manga= bad student)

I found the perfect solution! With some yarn left over from a bigger project, I made this beautiful book cover, just the right size for a Toei shounen manga. I'm working on one to match the size of Kadogawa mangas as well.


This is just to show how the whole thing looks like. I NEVER put my manga down like this!!!

It's really quite simple, just 12 granny squares sewn together (it's actually 6 squares each with a strip made thick enough for the spine in the middle), with a borders of however many rows will get you the size you need for your manga/book/notebook. I cut up my sister's old pair of jeans for the lining. Just basic rectangles hemmed and attached to the inside of the book cover. 

Do block the granny squares for this project, it makes for much more even squares to work with. And be careful while sewing the lining to make sure your manga/book/notebook will fit.  


Isn't it just the perfect disguise? XD
(In the picture: Ilegenes: The Genetic Sodom/イルゲネス~黒耀の軌跡~ , a manga I whole-heartedly recommend, by the way!) 

1 comment:

  1. That's such an awesome idea!!! I always wanted to read manga on the go, but worried that they will get damaged in my bag (it's a clutter in there). This will save them!!!.....now if only I knew how to crochet/sew : )

    ReplyDelete